Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Well, a lot of people I know stayed in Houston. My mom and sister, Kelly, were the only ones who left. And if it wasn't b/c we had my sister, April's, baby shower this weekend, I don't know if think they would have left either. My dad and bro-in-law,Steve, rode out the storm at my parents' house in Spring (north Houston).

Everyone is FINE!! YAY! There is only damage to the corner of my parents' fence and at my sister Kelly's house their fence blew over and a small tree fell onto the garage, but only broke the gutter. We were really worried about flooding at Kelly's b/c they live only 30 miles from Galveston, but there was no flooding at their house. And Steve has a big boat in a storage unit close to a bay down there, but the buildings all looked structurally sound. God is good to protect my family!!!!

Neither my dad nor Steve have power, but they are using generators. My dad has the fridge, a TV, and a window unit hooked up to his generator, so he is nice and comfortable! My mom told me he cooked dinner tonight. Their stove is gas, so it is working.

I don't know how long my mom or Kelly will be staying up here. There is no power in Houston, so I think they should stay a looooong time up here! I'm enjoying seeing them some. (they are staying at April's house since she doesn't work).

Well that's about all from me. Stress is starting to build with school stuff and I'm not happy about that. I'm trying not to stress too much and trying to roll with the punches and just keep going, but there is more and more we are required to do all the time. It really takes the fun out of my job. My kids were also HORRIBLE last Wed and Thurs. I mean one of the worst days in 5 years of teaching!!! They just won't stop talking. So I took away their entire recess. They (all 18 of them) just sat outside and watched all the other kids playing and having fun. I've never taken the entire class's whole recess away in 5 years either. But it made an impression (which was the plan) b/c they were better Friday. It definitely made for a long week.

I hope this week is better!! Now, I'm off to bed to rest up!

No comments: